jueves, 20 de agosto de 2009

RAH Band - Clouds Across the Moon



RAH Band
Clouds Across the Moon 7" (1985)

"Good evening. This is the intergalactic operator. Can I help you?"
"Yes. I'm trying to reach flight commander P.R. Johnson, on Mars, flight 2-4-7"
"Very well, hold on please... You're through"
"Thank you, operator"

Hi darlin', how are you doing?
Hey baby, were you sleeping?
Oh, I'm sorry, but I've been really missing you

Hi darlin', how's the weather?
Say baby, is that cold better now?
Oh, I'm sorry, is there someone there with you?

Oh, since you went away, there's nothing goin' right
I just can't sleep alone at night
I'm not ashamed to say I badly need a friend
Or it's the end

Now, when I look at the clouds across the moon
Here, in the night, I just hope and pray that soon
Oh baby, you'll hurry home to me

Hi darlin', the kids say they love you
Hey baby, is everything fine with you?
Please forgive me, but I'm trying not to cry

Oh, I've had a million different offers on the phone
But I just stayed right here at home
I don't think that I can take it anymore
This crazy war

Now, when I look at the clouds across the moon
Here, in the night, I just hope and pray that soon
Oh baby, you'll hurry home to me


"I'm sorry to interrupt your conversation, but we are experiencing violent storm conditions in the asteroid belt at this time. We may lose this valuable deep space communication link. Please, be as brief as possible. Thank you"

Oh, since you went away, there's nothing goin' right
I just can't sleep alone at night
I'm not ashamed to say I badly need a friend
Or it's...or it's...

"Hello? Hello operator? Yes, we've lost the connection. Could you try again, please?"
"I'm sorry, but I'm afraid we've lost contact with Mars 2-4-7 at this time"
"OK, thank you very much... I'll... I'll try again next year... next year... next year... next year..."


Now, when I look at the clouds across the moon
Here, in the night, I just hope and pray that soon
Oh baby, you'll hurry home to me


Duración: 4:29


videoclip (no apto para mentes sensibles)

Posiblemente una de las mariconadas más sensibleras que postearé aquí, este single de RAH Band (básicamente un proyecto de estudio de un tal Richard Anthony Hewson) es un ejemplo perfecto de clásico ochentero. A primera vista parece simplemente una lacrimógena balada con aire futurista, cogiendo la influencia de las torch songs y las baladas sesenteras y mezclándola con ese espíritu tan ochentero de sintetizadores y gusto por lo robótico y demás zarandajas futuristas.

Obviamente, "Clouds Across the Moon" es eso. Pero su punto fuerte radica en como se establece firmemente en esa línea separando ambos conceptos. No cae en un exceso de sentimentalismo (sólo lo justo para emocionar al oyente), ni se pierde en excesos (algo tan propio de la época). Con una instrumentación y una producción totalmente adecuadas, consigue que suene como un "clásico perdido" a día de hoy. Sonará retro, sin duda, pero sonará como retro clásico del copón.

A destacar esa letra (cantada por la mujer de Hewson), en la que no oímos la voz del tal P.R. Johnson (que se supone que es su marido si hablan de los niños y tal). Podemos imaginar a la pobre mujer ahí, dale que te pego, mientras P.R. se limita a escuchar sin decir nada, como si no le apeteciera mucho que digamos esa conversación. Quizás tanto tiempo en Marte le ha hecho acostumbrarse a la vida sin su mujercita (mientras que ella, pobre, sigue pensando en él). Este punto de vista se refleja en el clip oficial, en el que, cuando ella le pregunta "is there someone there with you?", aparece una mujerzuela bailando al lado de P.R., mientras éste sigue mudo...

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario