sábado, 21 de noviembre de 2015

Las Mejores Críticas de RYM: rushomancy reviews Crac! by Area (Aug 12, 2009)


Funny, isn't it, the ideas people get about genre.  Someone will say about, for instance, this record, or about _Tago Mago_: 

"Well, obviously this isn't prog rock." 

If asked why they have that particular impression, their response will, generally, boil down to this: 

"Because I hate prog rock, and I like this." 

It works the other way, too, mind.  I knew a fellow who was absolutely dead certain convinced that Funkadelic were a progressive rock band, because really, how could any band that great not be progressive rock? 

I also knew a guy who invented an entire genre of music, which seemed to encompass all the music he, personally liked.  If someone wants to do that I guess that's fine.  What amazes me is that his little made-up genre actually had some degree of wider acceptance.  As if there was anything that Kate Bush and Magma had in common in terms of musical style. 

I knew another guy... well, I didn't know him.  I was listening to the radio one day years and years ago, and they were talking about Demetrios Stratos.  (If you're wondering why they were discussing Demetrios Stratos on the radio, this was WFMU.)  Anyway, the DJ who was interviewing this guy only knew Stratos from his solo work, and was actually under the impression that Area were a mainstream Italian pop band.  I guess because their records said "International POPular Group" on the cover.  Probably he hadn't had the opportunity to hear them. 

All this leads to my current distrust of genre. 

The larger point is this: Whatever this is- prog, jazz-fusion, Italian pop- it's certainly very good, although I do sometimes find myself wishing Stratos did more singing, or was more integrated into the goings-on, and the first side overall outshines the second, particularly the utterly classic first two tracks.  And whatever it is, it's certainly not typical.  Recommended.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario